Week one down.
I’m hurting though.
Throw three years out of work together with an intense week of induction in French – suffering. The good kind.
So here’s a quick and condensed version of my first week back in the force:
- First day, arrived home and passed out on the couch by 8:30pm.
- PC is fossilised. Yes, I said PC. Haven’t used Windows for 10 years. It’s a brick. I can make and drink a coffee in the time it needs to start up.
- Received my HP dinosaur on day 3. I’m told that’s pretty good in comparison to some others. Not complaining.
- Contacted IT help desk. Received a response 2 days later.
- No webmail.
- VPN requires a dongle.
- INTERNET EXPLORER …..
- WHERE AM I?????
- Chrome allowed but no google apps.
- No cloud.
- Had many “where am I” moments.
- French everything. Induction, keyboard (I’m sorry but QWERTY, ok), applications, documentation, training. So much French. Drowning. Assimilating.
- Heinous blisters on feet from several pairs of “comfortable” shoes. They looked comfy when I bought them but MURDERERS.
- Got my first Program. Some newbies have been waiting weeks – feeling chuffed.
- Office is LIT. Beautiful. Great location. 4 tram stops from home. Winning!
- Had an oral French test and failed. Teacher suggested 2 weeks intensive training. I should be ashamed but I’m not. Actually content in knowing I can only get better.
- Rooftop will be completed next week. Priceless.
For every “where am I” moment there are a bahzillion “I’m so freaking lucky” moments so pretty much all the things I mentioned above are trivial in the grand scheme of things.
Looking forward to week two.
Bon week-end a tous !
Photo credit: giphy. Arrested Development, my fav.